The truth about abortion
I have heard a lot of misinformation about abortion, probably because of how controversial and incendiary the subject is. As much as I know I will probably receive considerable backlash, I have to present the facts.
- There is absolutely no link between breast cancer (or any kind of cancer) and abortion. The American Cancer society and World Health Organization has said it time and again, but I continue to hear Pro-Life organizations claiming it’s true. These spurious claims were even touted by the Bush Administration not so long ago. I urge anyone interested in finding out more to read the wiki on the subject.
- While grief is a possible and legitimate feeling to have post-abortion, the fact is most women feel relieved afterward.
- Abortion *does not* lead to sterility. These claims emerged after a weak correlation was found between women obtaining abortion and later inability to have children. It was found that around 5% of women who had obtained abortion are later sterile. While pro-life activists were quick to claim that abortion causes sterility, the more likely story is that women who were more likely to obtain abortions were also more likely to have left an STI untreated, and that the sterility was a by-product of advanced chlamydia or gonorrhea.
- About 1/3 of all women will have an abortion by age 45.
- 54% of women seeking abortions had been using contraceptive method during the month in which they got pregnant. It is important to note that of these women, most reported that they had used their methods inconsistently or incorrectly. Proper use of contraceptives *every time* is vital to preventing pregnancies. The other 46% of women had not used a contraceptive method at all in the month they got pregnant.
- There has been a decline in abortions in the past 30 years. This decline seems to have bottomed out according to the most recent study released by the Guttmacher Institute yesterday. This decline is most likely due to improved and widespread access to birth control.
- It seems that women are increasingly obtaining abortions earlier in pregnancy, when it is safest to do so.
- In addition, there was a 24% increase in medication-induced abortions
- Although many claim women seeking abortions are selfish, the most common reasons given for obtaining abortions are remarkably selfless. Some reasons given include: (75%) Having a baby would interfere with work, school, or the ability to care for dependents (75%) concern for or responsibility to other individuals (75%) inability to afford another child (50%) do not want to be a single parent, or are having problems with their partner.
- 61% of women obtaining abortions already have children.
Information taken mostly from the Guttmacher Institute. Please visit their site for more information.
Please indicate: The truth about abortion | Pornoop: List of Best Porn Sites & Top Porn Sites for Adults